Is A Leaky Chimney Making A Mess Of Your Home?
If chimney leaks are not addressed quickly, water that makes its way into your chimney can do extensive damage, fast — which is why it’s so important to have leaks addressed as soon as you discover them. And with all the rain we have here in the greater Knoxville area, a leak is not something to ignore!
Signs of a Chimney Leak
- water entering through the firebox
- rust along the chimney chase or side of your home
- chimney discoloration
- vegetation on the home
- ceilings or walls discolored
What Should You Do If You Think You Have A Leak In Your Chimney?
The first thing you should do if you think you have a chimney leak is call a professional and certified chimney sweep and schedule an appointment to have your chimney inspected. During an inspection, the sweep will look at all of the easily accessible parts of the chimney, including the cap, the masonry, the flashing, the liner, the smoke chamber, the damper, and the firebox. We’ll work to quickly identify where we think the water is getting in and what needs to be done to put a stop to it.
Aside from a missing chimney cap and damaged masonry, here are the two main culprits when leaks are discovered:
- Flashing. Flashing is the term used to describe the metal strips that run along the roof and up the base of the chimney where they intersect. These strips are layered for added protection, but pieces can be lifted, dented, rusted, or otherwise damaged by water, strong winds, loose debris, and animals. Because the flashing is woven in with the shingles, it can also be damaged or rendered ineffective during a reroof.
- Roof. Of course, sometimes leaks near the chimney are actually caused by the roof itself. Perhaps shingles have come loose, gaps are present, or there’s no caulk or seal around the flashing.
Whatever is causing your chimney leak, you can count on us to resolve the issue fast and effectively. We repair and replace flashing and also provide minor roof repairs. With our team on the job, you can expect fast results and an end to your leak.